Sunday, June 24, 2007

Why Design Instruction?

I have read many other blogs, but this is my first blog creation. Here goes nothing. My basic definition instructional design is the way lessons are planned and delivered. Instructional design is essential in creating a successful classroom environment. A classroom that has no design will not work. Imagine if you had a job with no guidelines or instructions for how to do the job correctly, it would be impossible to succeed. As an educator, my number one goal is to create an environment where all students can be successful. This can be difficult because the students in classes have different skill levels and learning styles. During the instructional design process I take all these factors into account and plan lessons accordingly. This may include but is not limited to the following: extra credit, assignment choices, small groups, different ways of delivery, and extended time. In my classroom (which is the computer lab) I have 32 computers and luckily my largest class has 30 students. This allows each student to have his or her own computer. When giving assignments I have to remember that not all students have this access to technology at home. I need to make sure that students have ample time to complete technology projects in my classroom or in their homeroom. One of my career goals is to have one to one laptop deployment in my school.

1 comment:

RP said...

What a beautiful graphic!! I like the look of your site. The goal to do 1:1 laptops is noteworthy. Have you read much of the research on how it has worked out in other places?